At the September meeting held at Wedmore the three Principals opened the Convocation. Companions of Taunton Deane Chapter, no 5221, lead by E Comp Roger Seaton, Z, presented the Somerset Sceptre to E Comp Richard Ellis for onward transport to Royal Sussex Chapter on 15th October. This will mean that Richard has to give it to himself!
The changes to the Bye-laws for the change of venue was approved and will be forwarded to Province for confirmation.
MEGS E Comp D John Bennett was welcomed and proffered the Sceptre by MEZ, E Comp Richard Ellis,. On this occasion MEGS took the Sceptre and the 2nd and 3rd Provincial Grand Principals were placed in their respective chairs.
MEZ then informed MEGS that he wished that a new Honours Board be Dedicated by the team. A deputation of the three Principals of Calderley Chapter, with E Comp Maldwyn Davies standing in for E Comp Keith Fisher, asked for the Board to be dedicated. PrGJ then gave The Dedication Prayer and MEGS gave a brief history of Calderley Chapter. This was followed by the Dedication by MEGS and presentation back to MEZ.
There followed the discussion led by MEGS as this was why the Calderley Chapter was formed. E Comp John was disappointed by the low number of CLOs present and E Comp Adrian Halliwell, Provincial Liaison Officer, explained that he felt partly to blame as he didn’t forward the Summons as he was away. This will change in the future and Summonses will be sent from E Comp Julian May, Secretary.
- MEGS also was unhappy with the lack of reports and updates to the web pages by CLOs and asked for an improvement and if CLOs were unable to do this that the Chapters should appoint a suitable replacement.
- Chapters were reminded that Summonses should be sent to Province 21 days prior to their meeting. One Chapter stated that the Summons wasn’t sent because of the Data Protection Rules. This is incorrect as all Masons agree to their names appearing, if not they will have stated their preference.
- Calderley Chapter requires a replacement DC as Barry Woodside will be busy for the next five years, any volunteers?
- Membership to Calderley Chapter is open to any Companion to join, the more the merrier, it is a good discussion group.
- Scribe Es are asked to advertise the Provincial Web on Summonses and correspondence ie www.somersetroyalarch.org
- Comp Robert Colins gave a brief report on the Masonic Fishing Charity, see www.mtsfc.org.uk, and asked any keen anglers who would like to help in giving help to disabled, both mentally and physically, interact with others on a one-to-one basis, by taking them out of their usual environment and learning new skills. See Brochure click here and here and letter here.
MEGS then asked the PrGDC to return MEZ to his rightful chair and the other Principals were also returned to theirs.
After the usual risings the Chapter was closed and Companions headed for the Festive Board where they had an excellent meal prepared by Zenas Catering with E Comp Neil Hurcum, PrGJ helping out.